August 25th – Independence Day in Uruguay: 7 interesting facts
1. The football team “Danubio” was founded by the two brothers Juan and Miguel Lazarovi, immigrants from Bulgaria. Translation from Spanish Danubio means the Danube and the idea is to remind about the native country.
2. From 2009 Uruguay provides to every schoolboy or schoolgirl a laptop.
3. Uruguay is the first country which legalizde the use of marijuana.
4. Although it is the second smallest country in South America, the national football team has twice been a world champion: in the distant 1930s and 1950s, and in 2010 it has reached the World Cup semifinals in South Africa
5. The official language is Spanish, the official name and is: Eastern Republic of Uruguay
6. The motto of the state is: Freedom or death!
7. Half of the country’s population lives in the capital of Montevideo